Providing Compassionate, Intelligent Counsel

What to do if your ex-spouse takes your child out of the country

On Behalf of | Apr 5, 2022 | Child Custody |

When parents can not agree on custody or are unhappy with the decision of the court, there is often a fear that one parent may take the kids and run. This becomes a more complicated situation when there is a fear that the parent may flee the country.

If your ex-spouse takes your child out of the country, getting your child back can be a complicated process.

What to do if your ex-spouse takes your child out of the country

If your ex-spouse removes your child from the country in violation of your custody agreement, contact local law enforcement. The police can enter your child’s name into the National Crime Information Center database to help with finding your child. You can also alert the nearest FBI field office and contact the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

What information does the police need?

Be prepared to provide law enforcement with information about your child:

  • Pictures and biographic information
  • Court orders concerning your child custody arrangement
  • Information about where you think your ex-spouse may go
  • Details about your ex-spouse and any other involved parties
  • The time and place you last saw the child
  • Anything you know about travel itineraries, border crossings, departure routes or airlines

If you have a court order that forbids your ex-spouse to remove the child from the country, law enforcement will want to see it.

Dealing with a spouse who has taken your child is a stressful situation. However, it is important not to panic and to begin working with law enforcement as soon as possible.


FindLaw Network