Providing Compassionate, Intelligent Counsel

Rising cost for raising a child could mean higher child support

by | Aug 27, 2013 | Child Support, Firm News |

When one is going through a divorce and one has children, child support is always an important issue on one’s mind. Child support is also an issue that frequently causes arguments among separating California couples. The spouse who does not have primary custody will likely have to pay a portion of his or her earnings to the other parent to assist the ex-spouse with caring for the children. Even though the spouse paying child support may not be happy with the amount he or she must pay, that parent should keep in mind that the child support check will greatly help in the raising of one’s child.

When one compares child support payments to the average cost to raise a child, one may not be so surprised at the cost of one’s own payment. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, it costs $234,900 to raise a child from birth to age 18. This number was for a two parent household earning between about $60,000 and $100,000 a year with another child in the family.

Experts estimate that this number is only going to rise. The largest expenditure that child support will assist the ex-spouse with is, naturally, housing, which constitutes an average of about 30 percent of the cost of raising a child. Education, transportation, healthcare and food are among the other larger portions of the cost.

It can be emotionally painful to give money to someone who you no longer live with and who quite possibly hurt you. Typically, the spouse who must pay child support would have helped financially to raise the children anyways, but it is the act of writing a check to the ex that creates an emotional problem for many people. But, if one keeps in mind that it is for the kids, this process should become easier. California professionals in divorce law are available to assist separating couples with any questions or concerns about child support that they may have.

Source: Huffington Post, Child-Support: Paying Your Fair-Share?, Morghan Leia Richardson, Aug. 14, 2013


FindLaw Network